The cornea is a transparent curved lens at the front of the eye. It bends light onto the back of the eye so that a clear image can be produced on the retina. By reshaping the cornea with a Solid State laser it is possible to adjust the focusing power to improve unaided vision.
Trans-Epithelial Surface Treatment is an advanced form of surface laser treatment.
Trans-Epithelial Surface Treatment is performed in two stages:Firstly, the laser is used to ablate the corneas surface layer with pinpoint accuracy and regularity. Secondly, the laser is programmed to remove exactly the right amount of corneal stromal tissue to achieve the shape change required from the cornea to improve your vision. Following treatment a bandage contact lens is placed over the cornea for a few days as the epithelial layer heals.
Advantages over other laser eye treatments e.g. Conventional LASIK/LASEK/EPI-LASEK:
- It is the safest procedure with relation to intra operative complications as it is a Flapless All Laser procedure. There are no chances of intra operative flap complications or late flap dislocations.(NO FLAP)
- It is a NO TOUCH procedure at no time does any surgical instrument (microkeretome blade etc.) other than the laser touch the eye.(NO BLADE)
- At TLVC we use a Solid State Pulzar Z1(NO EXCIMER) laser which causes less temperature rise on cornea and less corneal dryness intraoperatively.The SolidState laser is also less susseptable to corneal hydration as compared to an Excimer laser hence results are more Reproducable.
- No High Pressure Suction is used to stabilize the eye so there are no chances of Subconjunctival Haeomorrhage or severe complications like Retinal Detachment.
- TEST saves between 90 to 160 microns of corneal tissue that would have been lost to the flap so it can be used safely in patients having thin corneas and high errors.
- The Biomechanical Stability of the cornea is very high as compared to other procedure patient can go for contact sports like Rugby, Boxing etc. once healing is complete.
- As it has Topography Enhanced Transition zones Night Vision is better and chances of Regression are lower.
- No alcohol or mechanical separation of epithelial layer occurs. The removal of the epithelium is achieved by the laser to microns of accuracy and avoids poor quality epithelial flaps, alcohol toxicity and requires no suction during laser eye correction treatment.
- Quicker healing (re-epithelialisation) occurs following treatment. Less pain and faster vision stabilisation is experienced by patients compared to other surface laser eye correction treatments.